Egg thokku is an easy and quick side dish that serves with chapati and rice. It tastes spicy and flavorful with spices, tomatoes, and tamarind.
How to make perfect hard boiled eggs?
Hard boiled eggs are a quick and cheapest source of protein. You can serve the boiled eggs for breakfast, snack or as a side with rice varieties like tomato rice and pulao. Hard boiled are simple to make in few minutes boil and stays good in the refrigerator for up to a week.
1. In a saucepan place eggs in a single layer, add water to cover the eggs, add a pinch of salt and bring to a vigorous boil. Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid.
2. Allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Drain the water from eggs completely, crack open the eggs and serve.
Smart Cooking Tips:
1. Cook tomatoes thoroughly until soft and mushy. If the tomatoes remain uncooked then the gravy will taste raw tomato flavor.
2. I used store bought tamarind concentrate in this recipe, you can also use raw tamarind. Soak raw tamarind in warm water for 5 – 10 minutes, extract juice and add to the gravy.
3. Avoid adding a large quantity of water in this recipe. The gravy should be in a thick consistency.
Indian Egg Recipes:
Indian egg recipes are spicy and flavorful. Egg thokku is a delicious South Indian recipe with spices, tomatoes, and tamarind. This is one of my favorite recipes because I love tangy curries and gravies.
Personally, I like chapati and egg thokku combination. It is an excellent side dish that serves with chapati and rice. It is easy and simple to make in just 30 minutes.
Similar Egg Recipes
Egg thokku is an easy and quick side dish that serves with chapati and rice in 30 mins. It tastes spicy and flavorful with spices, tomatoes and tamarind.
- 4 no ROMA TOMATO
- 1 cup ONION
- 3 tbsp OIL
- 0.50 tbsp CORIANDER POWDER
- 1 tsp RED CHILI POWDER
- 1 tsp FENUGREEK SEED
- 0.50 tsp MUSTARD SEEDS
- 0.50 tsp URAD DAL
- 10 no CURRY LEAVES
- 0.50 tsp TAMARIND
- 0.50 cup WATER
- 1.50 tsp SALT TABLE
- 4 no EGG WHL RAW FRSH
- 4 gms GARLIC RAW
Boil the eggs separately: In a saucepan place eggs and add water to cover the eggs. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid and allow the eggs to sit in a hot water for 15 mins. Crack open and slice each egg in a half.
In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add urad dal, fenugreek seeds and cook until the fenugreek seeds color changes to golden brown. Add curry leaves, chopped garlic and saute until the garlic color changes to golden brown.
Add chopped onion and cook until the onion becomes soft. Add turmeric powder and cook until the turmeric powder loses its raw smell.
Add chopped tomato, salt and cook until the tomatoes become soft and mushy (keep stirring in between to avoid the tomatoes getting burned.
Add coriander powder, red chili powder and mix well. Cook until the spices lose its raw smell. Add tamarind paste, water and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook until the gravy becomes thick and the oil separates on top of a gravy.
Add boiled eggs and mix gently. Cook the gravy over a low heat for five minutes and serve.
How to serve egg thokku?
Serve egg thokku with chapati, dosa, and rice.