Idli podi is a spicy and flavorful side dish for idli and dosa with lentils and spices. Idli podi is easy and simple to make at home and stays good for a long time.
South Indian Recipes:
Idli is an ideal breakfast in South India, it is a healthy, gluten-free dish made with rice and urad dal. From babies to elderly people likes idli because it tastes mild and stays gentle in the tummy. Idli podi is an excellent side dish for Idli and dosa that serves with gingelly oil or ghee. Idli podi is easy to make at home in just a few minutes and stays good for at least a month. You can find idli podi at grocery stores but homemade idli podi taste so fresh and flavorful.
Smart Cooking Tips:
1. Roast each ingredient separately over a low to medium flame. This helps to avoid the lentils from getting burned. Avoid roasting the lentils too much until the color changes to dark brown.
2. Add red chilies according to your taste. You can also add garlic in this podi, make sure to roast the garlic until the color changes to golden brown.
3. Store the podi in a clean and dry air-tight container, so that the podi will stay good for a long time.
4. Powder the lentils and red chilies to a coarse texture.
Podi Idli is a spicy and delicious dish with idli and podi. It is an excellent lunch box recipe, from kids to everyone loves podi idli. You can make podi idli with ghee instead of oil. Podi idlies are the better option for the picnics because it stays good for a long time and easy to eat without making a mess.
Podi sprinkled on a dosa and top with finely chopped onion for a quick and tasty meal. You can use idli podi in almost all the dosa varieties like egg dosa, uthappam, and carrot dosa. Check out the recipe for Podi Dosa.
Idli podi is a spicy and flavorful side dish for idli and dosa with lentils and spices. Idli milagi podi is easy to make at home and stays good for a long time.
- 0.50 cup URAD DAL
- 0.50 cup CHANNA DAL
- 8 no DRIED RED CHILIES
- 3 tbsp SESAME SEEDS
- 0.50 tsp HING OR ASAFOETIDA
- 1 tsp OIL
- 1 tsp SALT TABLE
Dry roast the urad dal over a medium flame until the color changes to golden brown. Transfer the urad dal to a wide pan and allow to cool.
In the same pan add channa dal and roast until the color changes to golden brown. Transfer to the wide plate and allow to cool. Add red chilies and roast until the color changes slightly.
In a blender add roasted urad dal, chana dal, asafoetida, salt, red chilies, sesame seeds and grind to a coarse powder. Store idli powder in a clean and dry air-tight container.
How to serve Idli podi?
Serve Idli podi with idli, dosa and paniyaram.