Nan khatai is a soft and delicious eggless cookie. Nankhatai recipe is easy and simple to make at home. Also, it stays good for up to 2 – 3 weeks.
How to make ghee at home?
Ghee is also known as clarified butter. It is a healthy alternative to butter because ghee is made by boiling the butter and separating the milk solids.
Ghee is widely used in Indian cuisine; you can easily make ghee at home and store in an airtight container for up to 3 – 4 months.
Homemade ghee is more flavorful, economical, fresh and pure compared to the store bought ones. Once you taste the homemade ghee, you will never buy it from the store. Nan khatai is one such delicious recipe with ghee.
Ghee gives an excellent flavor to Nankhatai compared to butter.
Check out the homemade ghee recipe with detailed step by step pic, instructions, and smart cooking tips.
Smart Cooking Tips:
- Avoid adding water for kneading the cookie dough. Only ghee is enough to make a dough. Also, make sure to use the ghee that is in a semi-solid state, not the melted ghee.
- Adding crushed cardamom or cardamom powder is optional. You can also add a pinch of nutmeg powder. But personally I like cardamom flavor, so I added it.
- If you do not have powdered sugar at home, just blend the granulated sugar in a blender until smooth and use it in the recipe.
- Set the nan khatai dough for at least half an hour, this step helps to make the cookies soft and flavorful.
- Roll the cookie dough into smooth without any cracks, the cracks tend to expand when baking. So make sure to roll the dough without any cracks.
- Avoid baking the cookies for a long time, 20 – 25 minutes is enough or until the bottom side of the cookies, color changes to golden brown.
Kids-friendly snack recipe:
Nan khatai is an excellent snack recipe for kids. You can pack these cookies for school snacks box or even in the lunch box as a small treat. Also, you can serve it as an evening snack with a cup of milk.
Moreover, it is easy for the moms to bake in few minutes and store for a long time and serve whenever needed. Nan khatai is one of my family’s favorite cookie recipe so far.
How to serve nankhatai?
Serve nankhatai as a snack or dessert.
Tried and Tested By Users:
Deepthi Warrier: Tried it out and it turned out yummy! Loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Nan khatai is a soft and delicious eggless cookies. Nankhatai recipe is easy and simple to make at home. Also, it stays good for up to 2 - 3 weeks.
- 1 cup ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 0.50 cup SUGARS POWDERED
- 0.50 cup GHEE
- 2 no CARDAMOM
- 0.50 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1 pinch SALT TABLE
In a bowl add ghee, powdered sugar and mix well without any lumps.
Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt together and add it to the ghee and sugar mixture.
Add finely crushed cardamoms (you can use store-bought cardamom powder too), mix well and knead a soft dough without adding water. Cover the dough and set aside for at least half an hour.
After half an hour, pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees and line the baking tray with parchment paper.
Divide the dough into small equal size portions and roll them in between your palms until smooth without any cracks and arrange on the parchment paper with enough amount of space in between each cookie. Decorate the cookies with chopped pistachios or sliced almonds.
Bake in a pre-heated 300 degrees oven for 25 minutes or until the bottom side of the cookies turn golden brown. Take out the baking tray from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on a baking tray itself and serve.
Nankhatai (Shortbread Cookies) are now available at Amazon.com as well.