Rajma masala is an easy, healthy and delicious side dish with softly cooked red kidney beans and spices. It goes well with the rice and chapati.
Rajma chawal is a popular dish in Punjab. Rajma masala served with white rice is known as rajma chawal. Spicy rajma masala and white rice together make a delicious, filling and balanced meal.
Smart Cooking Tips:
- You can use the canned red kidney beans in the recipe. Rinse the canned beans in the water before adding it to the masala.
You can heavy cream in the end that gives a mild sweet taste to the curry.
Rajma Masala in Slow Cooker:
You can cook rajma masala in the slow cooker for a flavorful curry. Red kidney beans cooked for a long time with onion tomato gravy in the slow cooker for a delicious masala.
- Rinse red kidney beans in water for 3 to 4 times and soak for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- In a pan, heat oil, bay leaf, chopped onion and cook until the onion becomes soft.
- Add turmeric powder and cook until the turmeric powder loses its raw smell.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook until the ginger garlic paste loses its raw smell.
- Add chopped tomato and cook until the tomato becomes soft.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well. Cook until the spices lose its raw smell.
- Add soaked red kidney beans, water just to cover the red kidney beans and mix well. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours or until the beans turns soft. Garnish with dried fenugreek (methi) leaves and serve.
Health Benefits of Red Kidney Beans:
Red kidney beans are the good source of protein, fiber, and minerals. The high fiber content in the red kidney beans helps to control the blood sugar level and cholesterol. The smaller portion of red kidney beans make us feel fuller for a long time, so it is an excellent option for the dieters and weight watchers. You can include red kidney beans in the diet by adding in the salads, curries, patties, and soups. Check out the other recipe using kidney beans, rajma pulao.
Rajma masala is an easy, healthy and delicious side dish with red kidney beans and spices. It goes well with the rice and chapati.
- 1 cup Red Kidney Beans (Rajma)
- 2.50 cup Water
- 2 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 1 no Onion Medium Size
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 2 no Tomatoes (Big Size)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 0.50 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder (to taste)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves for Garnishing
- 3 tbsp Oil
Rinse the red kidney beans in water for 3 to 4 times and soak for at least 6 hours or overnight. After 6 hours of soaking drain and discard the water from beans.
In a pressure cooker, add red kidney beans, fresh water, salt and cook until 8 whistles. Let the pressure cooker to cool naturally.
In a saucepan, heat oil, add bay leaf, chopped onion and cook until the onion turns soft.
Add turmeric powder and cook until the turmeric powder loses its raw smell.
Add ginger garlic paste and cook until the ginger garlic paste loses its raw smell.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
Add coriander powder, salt, red chili powder, garam masala and mix well. Cook until the spices lose its raw smell. It takes 2 to 3 minutes.
Add cooked beans with the liquid content and cook until your desired gravy consistency. Garnish with dried fenugreek leaves (methi leaves) and serve.
How to serve Rajma Masala?
Serve rajma masala as a side dish with rice or chapati.