Rajma pulao is a healthy and flavorful one pot meals recipe with kidney beans, spices, and rice. Rajma pulao is an easy and healthy kids-friendly rice dish.
An Easy Red Kidney Bean Recipe:
Kidney beans are an excellent source of fiber that helps in lowering the cholesterol and prevent raising the blood sugar level rapidly after a meal. Also, Kidney beans are rich in Iron that helps to prevent Iron deficiency. Particularly for vegetarians and vegans kidney beans are the good source of iron. Rajma Pulao is one such delicious recipe to include kidney beans in the diet. Rajma Pulao is a flavorful rice dish; even kids would love this pulao.
Smart Cooking Tips:
1. I used dried rajma beans in this pulao. So I soaked kidney beans in water for overnight and cook until beans become soft. You can also use canned kidney beans for a quick pulao.
2. Soak white rice in cold water for at least half an hour before cooking. This helps to make a soft and fluffy rice.
3. If you are cooking, the kidney beans using a pressure cooker reserve the liquid content with kidney beans to cook the rice.
4. I used long grain basmati rice in this pulao, so I used three cups of water to 2 cups of rice. The amount of water used to cook the rice depends on the quality of the rice. So add water according to the package directions.
5. You can also use thin coconut milk in this pulao, coconut milk gives an excellent flavor to the pulao.
6. Make sure to measure and add a cup of water to cook the half a cup of kidney beans in a pressure cooker.
Easy Lunch Box Recipe For Kids:
Rajma Pulao is easy and filling lunch box recipe for kids. My son Aldrich loves this red kidney beans pulao, so I pack rajma pulao with yogurt for his lunch. Rajma Pulao with yogurt is an easy and healthy combo for kids. I soak kidney beans before going to bed and cook in the morning using a pressure cooker. Sometimes I use canned kidney beans also for a quick pulao. Apart from soaking time rajma pulao is easy and simple to make in an hour. If you are using canned kidney beans, this pulao is easy to make in 45 minutes.
Rajma pulao is a healthy and flavorful one pot meals recipe with kidney beans, spices and rice. Rajma pulao is an easy and healthy kids-friendly rice dish.
- 0.50 cup RED KIDNEY BEANS (RAJMA)
- 2 cup BASMATI RICE
- 1 cup ONION CHOPPED
- 3 tbsp OIL
- 1 tsp CUMIN SEED
- 4 gms CINNAMON
- 2 gms CLOVES
- 1 no BAY LEAF
- 2 tsp GINGER GARLIC PASTE
- 0.25 tsp TURMERIC GROUND
- 1 tsp CORIANDER POWDER
- 2 no ROMA TOMATO
- 2.50 cup WATER
- 1 tsp SALT TABLE
- 0.25 cup MINT LEAVES
- 0.25 cup CILANTRO (CORIANDER)LEAVES CHOPPED
- 1 tsp RED CHILI POWDER
- 2 no GREEN CHILIES
- 1 cup WATER
Soak kidney beans in water for over night. After 8 hours drain and discard the water from kidney beans and add a cup of fresh water and cook up to 4 whistles. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure cooker to cool naturally.
Open the pressure cooker and reserve the cooked kidney beans with the liquid. Drain the liquid from cooked kidney beans and keep it aside until needed.
Soak basmati rice for at least half an hour before cooking.
In a saucepan, heat oil add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and saute until the nice aroma comes out. Add sliced onion, green chilies and cook until onion becomes soft.
Add ginger garlic paste, mix well and cook until it loses its raw smell.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook until it becomes soft and mushy. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and mix well. Cook until the spices lose its raw smell.
Add mint leaves, coriander leaves, cooked kidney beans and mix well.
Add soaked rice and saute for 10 - 20 seconds. Add 2.50 cup of water and 0.50 cup of reserved liquid from kidney beans. Bring it to a boil and check for the salt.
When its starts boiling cover the pan with a lid and cook until all the water content absorbed the rice completely. Open the lid and mix the rice gently using a spatula. Rajma pulao is ready to be served.