Roasted moong dal is an easy, healthy and crunchy snack. It is an excellent snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
How to make roasted moong dal in the microwave?
You can roast the moong dal in a microwave oven. It is easy to make in a microwave oven, the recipe is same as roasting in the conventional oven.
1. Soak moong dal in water for 4 – 5 hours. Drain the water completely from soaked moong dal, spread on a clean kitchen towel and pat them dry without any moisture content.
2. Add oil, salt and mix well. In a microwave safe plate, spread the moong dal in a single layer and roast in a microwave for 10 – 12 mins or until the dal turns crunchy. Keep stirring the dal in between to avoid the moong dal getting burned.
Smart Cooking Tips:
1. Avoid crowding the moong dal spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Adding red chili powder is optional.
3. Drying the moong dal without any moisture content is an important step in this recipe. It helps to give a nice crunchy texture moong dal.
Easy and Healthy Snack:
Moong dal is a healthy, low-calorie and protein-packed lentil. There are two varieties of moong dal like yellow and green moong dal. Green moong dal is the whole moong bean with loads of fiber compared to yellow moong dal and it takes slightly longer time to digest compared to the yellow moong dal. You can make varieties of recipes using moong dal like palak moong dal curry, moong dal halwa, moong dal dosa and moong dal ladoo. Roasted moong dal is an easy and healthy snack, tastes crunchy and delicious with yellow moong dal and less amount of oil. Though the soaking time takes 4 – 5 hours but the cooking time is less and the best part is roasted moong dal stays good for a week. So, you can bake on the weekend and store in an airtight container for the upcoming busy weekdays. If you like oven roasted moong dal you could also like the oven roasted chickpeas, check out the recipe for roasted chickpeas.
How to serve roasted moong dal?
Serve roasted moong dal as a snack. It is an excellent snack that goes with a cup of tea or coffee.
Roasted moong dal is an easy, healthy and crunchy snack. It is an excellent snack that goes well with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 cups Yellow moong dal
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder (adjust adding according to your taste)
Rinse moong dal thoroughly and soak for 4 - 5 hours. Drain water completely from the soaked dal using a fine mesh strainer.
Spread on a kitchen towel and pat them dry without any moisture content. Add salt, oil, turmeric powder to the dal and mix well.
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line the baking sheet with a parchment paper. Spread the moong dal on a parchment paper on a single layer evenly.
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 20 - 30 minutes until the dal changes to crunchy. Keep mixing the dal at regular 5 minutes interval to avoid the moong dal getting burned.
Add red chili powder and mix well. Allow the moong dal to cool and serve or store in an airtight container.