Spinach rice, which also referred as spinach or palak pulao in India is a healthy and flavorful green rice dish made with spinach and spices in 30 minutes.
A quick and healthy dinner recipe:
Spinach Pulao is a healthy one pot meal, easy and simple to make in 30 minutes. Spinach with spices and rice together makes a healthy dinner. The best part of this recipe is, it is flavorful by itself, so it tastes good without any side dish. I prefer eating this rice dish with simple yogurt raita or boiled egg.
I came through this recipe for the first time in Jeyashri’s Kitchen, and I altered the recipe a bit according to my taste. My recipe tastes slightly like a vegetable biriyani.
An excellent way to include spinach in Kids diet:
This rice dish is a great way to add spinach in your kids diet. My son usually avoids eating spinach, so I tried making soup, curries and smoothies using spinach, still he did not like any of it except smoothie since it had the banana and strawberries in it. So I tried this spinach rice with a hint of spice flavor, and he loved it.
Smart Cooking Tips:
1. Avoid blanching the spinach for a longer time in hot water. It will lose its nutrition and beautiful green color.
2. I added coconut milk in this recipe, you can skip it if you don’t like it. However, coconut milk gives unique flavor, richness and taste to this recipe.
3. Soak rice for at least 20 minutes, to get a soft and fluffy cooked rice.
4. Adding water to the rice purely depending on the quality of the rice. I used long grain Basmati Rice, and I soaked it for 30 minutes, I added 3 cups of water to 2 cups of rice for cooking rice in stove top.
5. Make sure to cook potatoes half done before you add it to the rice because the rice will cook faster and potatoes might remain uncooked if you add raw potato directly.
How to serve Palak Pulao or Spinach Pulao?
Serve spinach pulao or palak pulao with yogurt onion raita or boiled egg or as it is.
Spinach rice, which also referred as spinach or palak pulao in India is a healthy and flavorful green rice dish made with spinach and spices in 30 minutes
- 200 gms SPINACH RAW
- 1 cup ONIONS RAW
- 4 tbsp CANOLA OIL
- 1 tsp CUMIN SEED
- 2 no GREEN CHILIES
- 2 tsp GINGER GARLIC PASTE
- 2 cup BASMATI RICE
- 2.50 cup WATER
- 0.50 cup COCONUT MILK RAW
- 2 no YELLOW POTATO
- 1 no CINNAMON
- 2 no CLOVES
- 2 no CARDAMOM
- 1 no BAY LEAF
Boil water in a saucepan and add spinach. Turn off the heat and allow the spinach in a hot water for 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes, the spinach leaves become shrink and soft. At that time remove spinach from hot water and allow it to cool completely and grind it to a smooth paste in the blender.
In a separate pan heat oil add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and saute until a nice aroma comes out.
Add sliced onion, green chilies and cook until the onion becomes soft.","Add ginger garlic paste, mix well and cook it loses its raw smell.
Add cubed potatoes, salt and mix well. Cook until the potatoes become slightly soft.
Add soaked rice, spinach puree and mix well. Add water, coconut milk and mix well. Check for the salt.
Cover and cook until all the moisture content absorbed by the rice completely. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.