Sweet Dosa with jaggery and coconut is an easy and delicious snack for kids. This dosa tastes more like a dessert with coconut, cashew nuts, and raisins.
This sweet dosa is known as vella dosa in South India. It is prepared in many Indian households. My mom makes this sweet dosa often and sometimes she adds a ripe banana too.
My little son Aldrich loves this sweet dosa, so I make this often as a snack, sometimes I pack in his lunch box too. Making jaggery syrup is a little time-consuming task in this dosa though it is very easy to make.
Here, I am sharing a simple tip to make jaggery syrup faster in a microwave oven.
You can use this jaggery syrup in many recipes like moong dal payasam and sweet pongal.
How to make jaggery syrup in a microwave oven?
1. In a microwave safe thick bowl, add jaggery, water, and heat until the jaggery melts down completely. Take out the bowl from a microwave oven at every 20 seconds interval and stir once to avoid the jaggery from getting burned.
2. Filter the jaggery syrup using a cheese or muslin cloth and use in the recipes.
You can make the jaggery syrup on the stove top too using a saucepan. In a saucepan add jaggery, water and cook until the jaggery melts down completely.
Keep stirring to avoid the jaggery from getting burned. Filter the jaggery syrup using a cheese or muslin cloth and use in the recipes.
Smart Cooking Tips:
1. You can replace the jaggery with white sugar but jaggery gives an excellent taste to the dosa.
2. Adding cashew nuts and raisins are optional.
3. Make sure to cook the dosa until the bottom side of a dosa turns to a golden brown then flip and cook on the other side.
4. You can replace the oil with ghee. Always, filter the jaggery syrup this helps to remove dirt and impurities from the syrup.
Sweet dosa with jaggery and coconut is an easy and delicious snack for kids. This dosa tastes more like a dessert with coconut, cashew nuts, and raisins.
- 0.50 cup WHEAT FLOUR
- 1 tbsp RICE FLOUR WHITE
- 100 gms JAGGERY
- 0.50 cup WATER
- 3 gms RAISINS GOLDEN SEEDLESS
- 3 gms CASHEW NUTS RAW
- 1 no CARDAMOM
- 2 tbsp COCONUT MEAT RAW
In a microwave safe thick glass bowl, add jaggery, half a cup of water and heat for a minute or until the jaggery melts down completely. Take out the bowl from microwave oven at every 20 seconds interval and stir once with a spoon or spatula. Filter the jaggery syrup using a cheese or muslin cloth to remove the dirt and impurities from the jaggery.
Allow the jaggery syrup to cool. Add wheat flour, rice flour, grated coconut, chopped cashew nuts, raisins, crushed cardamom and mix well.
In a hot skillet pour a spoonful of batter and spread to a slightly thick circle. Sprinkle oil on the sides of a dosa and cook on both the sides until the color changes to golden brown. Sweet dosa is ready to serve.
How to serve sweet dosa?
Serve sweet dosa as a snack or breakfast.